The Institute of Bioinformatics and Biotechnology, 2Bio, arose from an idea of its founder, Dr. Sandro José de Souza in creating an institution for the dissemination and promotion of Bioinformatics and Biotechnology in Brazil. Along with some Brazilian researchers, 2Bio was set up as a nonprofit institution, whose main objectives are the development of research projects, training of students and professionals and the development of partnerships with the productive sector.
Dr. Sandro, now a professor at the Brain Institute at the Federal University of Rio Grande do Norte (UFRN), was for many years coordinator of Bioinformatics at the Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research (LICR) in São Paulo. The LICR is now the main supporter of 2Bio through a partnership aimed at establishing 2Bio as a cutting-edge institution in the areas of Bioinformatics and Biotechnology and the development of research projects in the area of cancer genomics and bioinformatics.
• To be a world-class research institution.
• Promote innovative research in the field of Bioinformatics and Biotechnology.
• Promote the exchange between academics and productive sectors.
• Encourage the development of human resources in Bioinformatics and Biotechnology area.
• Collaborate for Bioinformatics and Biotechnology serve as foundations for the development of Brazil.